The Ranch Basement

Dedicated to the memory of Rainmom, who stences in our hearts.

Obama in 2012?

lostsoul

Re: Obama in 2012?

Post  lostsoul on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 pm

donslaw wrote:
    Moreover, Republican opposition has proved immune even to persistent and successful attempts by Obama to mobilize public opinion.
    I don't accept the premise that Obama's attempts to mobilize public opinion have been persistent, and the idea that they have been successful is laughable on its face. The public may agree with Obama's purported positions, but we're no more mobilized to fight for those positions than he is.
    donslaw

Post  donslaw on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:42 pm

lostsoul wrote:
    donslaw wrote:
    Moreover, Republican opposition has proved immune even to persistent and successful attempts by Obama to mobilize public opinion.
    I don't accept the premise that Obama's attempts to mobilize public opinion have been persistent, and the idea that they have been successful is laughable on its face. The public may agree with Obama's purported positions, but we're no more mobilized to fight for those positions than he is.

You got it, LS - spot on!
    web_geek
    Admin

Post  web_geek on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 pm

donslaw wrote:
    Olbermann said that Obama had given a huge gift to polluters and corporations, and had delivered an equally large "whack across the knees" to his base.

"It seems, in short, to reduce his campaign logic to 'what are you going to do, vote for Rick Perry?'" Olbermann said.

If you didn't catch Olberman's rant, check it out HERE.

I can't watch him anymore.
    web_geek
    Admin

Post  web_geek on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:05 pm

donslaw wrote:And this, from Maureen Dowd:
    No. 2 on David Letterman’s Top Ten List of the president’s plans for Labor Day: “Pretty much whatever the Republicans tell him he can do.”

Obama is still suffering from the Speech Illusion, the idea that he can come down from the mountain, read from a Teleprompter, cast a magic spell with his words and climb back up the mountain, while we scurry around and do what he proclaimed.

The days of spinning illusions in a Greek temple in a football stadium are done. The One is dancing on the edge of one term.

The White House team is flailing — reacting, regrouping, retrenching. It’s repugnant.
    LINK

I haven't been able to read her for a few years now. But I will agree that his advisors are giving him bad advise.
    web_geek
    Admin

Post  web_geek on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 pm

donslaw wrote:
    lostsoul wrote:
    donslaw wrote:

You got it, LS - spot on!

Yes! cheers

lostsoul

Post  lostsoul on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:16 pm

web_geek wrote:
    donslaw wrote:If you didn't catch Olberman's rant, check it out HERE.

Is that a technical limitation?

Current TV

lostsoul

Post  lostsoul on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 pm

web_geek wrote:
    donslaw wrote:And this, from Maureen Dowd:
    Obama is still suffering from the Speech Illusion, the idea that he can come down from the mountain, read from a Teleprompter, cast a magic spell with his words and climb back up the mountain, while we scurry around and do what he proclaimed.

The days of spinning illusions in a Greek temple in a football stadium are done. The One is dancing on the edge of one term.

The White House team is flailing — reacting, regrouping, retrenching. It’s repugnant.
    LINK

I haven't been able to read her for a few years now. But I will agree that his advisors are giving him bad advise.
    I agree. That stuff above is awfully amateurish lipstick on worn-out Fox/Tea Party talking points.
    web_geek
    Admin

Post  web_geek on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 pm

lostsoul wrote:
    web_geek wrote:
    donslaw wrote:If you didn't catch Olberman's rant, check it out HERE.

Is that a technical limitation?

Current TV

No, it's not a technical issue.

I got tired of his thesaurus filled speeches a while back. He has great things to say. His interview in Rolling Stone was great. But for some reason when I see him on teevee I just think he's a blowhard.

I guess it's just me. I love him, but I just can't stand his diatribe anymore.

lostsoul

Post  lostsoul on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:50 pm

web_geek wrote:No, it's not a technical issue.

I got tired of his thesaurus filled speeches a while back. He has great things to say. His interview in Rolling Stone was great. But for some reason when I see him on teevee I just think he's a blowhard.

I guess it's just me. I love him, but I just can't stand his diatribe anymore.
    I agree with that, too. It's not just you.
    Hy Kriemz

Post  Hy Kriemz on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 am

lostsoul wrote:
    donslaw wrote:

Thank you very much.

I'm still waiting for young people to take to the streets to stop the fucking war that's been going on forever.
    It's not like they have jobs to go to.
    The most amazing thing to me is that LBJ knew it was time without ever receiving one negative E-Mail or Text.

OFF OF YOUR KEYBOARDS AND INTO THE STREETS

NO NEW TEXANS.
    donslaw

Post  donslaw on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:20 pm

OFF OF YOUR KEYBOARDS AND INTO THE STREETS!!

And, "Remember Kent State!"
    donslaw

Post  donslaw on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Meanwhile....
    Obama: A disaster for civil liberties
    With the 2012 presidential election before us, the country is again caught up in debating national security issues, our ongoing wars and the threat of terrorism. There is one related subject, however, that is rarely mentioned: civil liberties.

Protecting individual rights and liberties — apart from the right to be tax-free — seems barely relevant to candidates or voters. One man is primarily responsible for the disappearance of civil liberties from the national debate, and he is Barack Obama. While many are reluctant to admit it, Obama has proved a disaster not just for specific civil liberties but the civil liberties cause in the United States.

Civil libertarians have long had a dysfunctional relationship with the Democratic Party, which treats them as a captive voting bloc with nowhere else to turn in elections. Not even this history, however, prepared civil libertarians for Obama. After the George W. Bush years, they were ready to fight to regain ground lost after Sept. 11. Historically, this country has tended to correct periods of heightened police powers with a pendulum swing back toward greater individual rights. Many were questioning the extreme measures taken by the Bush administration, especially after the disclosure of abuses and illegalities. Candidate Obama capitalized on this swing and portrayed himself as the champion of civil liberties.

However, President Obama not only retained the controversial Bush policies, he expanded on them. The earliest, and most startling, move came quickly. Soon after his election, various military and political figures reported that Obama reportedly promised Bush officials in private that no one would be investigated or prosecuted for torture. In his first year, Obama made good on that promise, announcing that no CIA employee would be prosecuted for torture. Later, his administration refused to prosecute any of the Bush officials responsible for ordering or justifying the program and embraced the "just following orders" defense for other officials, the very defense rejected by the United States at the Nuremberg trials after World War II.
    Read and weep - the rest HERE.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:57 pm